Conveyancing - Buying a property Heald's Price Guide for Buying a property
We are here to guide you when you are moving home or dealing with a buy to let investment we can help with freehold or leasehold property. Our solicitors understand the importance of what can be an extremely stressful time for you.
We believe it is essential to work with you to achieve as smooth a deal as possible.
Our experienced staff are used to anticipating problems and discussing practical ways of resolving them as quickly as possible, keeping you up to date with the progress.
Our team will guide you through the process. We will highlight any issues and advise you of the steps to take, from the time your offer is accepted through to completion of the purchase. We will do this as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Typically for a straightforward case, timeframes are usually anything between 6-12 weeks, depending on the complexity of the case.
However, timeframes can differ from case to case. If there is a chain transaction, there is always the possibility that the time scale may increase.
We will always ensure you receive the best possible service, providing you with regular updates and keeping you informed throughout the process.
What is involved?
When buying a property, we will:-
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Check finances are in place to fund the purchase and contact the lender's solicitors if needed
- Receive and advise on the contract documents
- Carry out searches
- Obtain further planning documentation if required
- Make any necessary enquiries of the seller's solicitor
- Review the management pack (if there is one) and raise enquiries
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through the conditions of the mortgage offer (if there is one)
- Send the final contract to you for signature
- Draft the transfer if relevant
- Advise you on joint ownership
- Obtain pre-completion searches
- Agree on the completion date (the date from which you own the property)
- Agree on a figure in respect of ground rent/service charge should this be applicable
- Correspond with your lender (should you have one) to ensure funds are in place for completion
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from the lender, and you
- Obtain pre-completion searches
- Complete the purchase
- Deal with payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax
- Deal with the application for registration at the Land Registry
- Notify the freeholder and managing agent (if appropriate)
Standard conveyancing prices
These costs are quoted on the basis that the matter is straightforward and, for example, does not include work needing to be done if:
- The legal title is defective, or
- any part of the property is unregistered, or
- building regulations consent or planning permission has not been obtained, or
- crucial documents previously requested from you have not been provided, or
- there are any unforeseen complications, or
- any unreasonable delay is caused following on from a third party or
- from the non-co-operation of the parties, or
- indemnity policies are required, or
- the property is a new build or
- this is the grant of a new lease or
- any additional documents are needed to be put in place
In these cases, we will promptly inform you of the additional costs incurred together with the cost of any disbursements involved.
We may pay a fee on your case to a third party. This is referred to as a referral fee and will not affect how much you pay us. We will let you know if we pay a referral fee on your case.
Our Rates and Fees
- Purchase price up to £500,000£900(£750 + VAT)
- Purchase price between £500,001 and £800,000£1,080(£900 + VAT)
- Purchase price between £800,001 and £1,000,000£1,320(£1,100 + VAT)
- Purchase price over £1mPlease call
- For a new build purchase up to £1m£1,800(£1,500 + VAT)
- For a new build purchase over £1mPlease call
- Completing and filing the SDLT return£90(£75 + VAT)
- Client identification (per person)£5(£4.17 + VAT)
- Search pack£600(£500 + VAT)
- CHAPS money (per transfer)£42(£35 + VAT)
Fee Add Ons
- Acting for a lender£150(£125 + VAT)
- When the property is leasehold£150(£125 + VAT)
- Using a Help To Buy Mortgage£150(£125 + VAT)
- Using a Help To Buy ISA£75(£50 + VAT)
- Dealing with a 3rd party solicitor. Where the lender uses their own solicitors£150(£125 + VAT)
- When the property is shared ownership£150(£125 + VAT)
- When someone is gifting money to allow the purchase to proceed£75(£50 + VAT)
- Land Registry official copies (per copy)£3.60(£3 + VAT)
- Land Registration Fee£20 - £900 Depending on the property value(No VAT)
- Land Charges Search Fee (i.e. Bankruptcy)(per copy)£2.40(£2 + VAT)