Surinderpal SinghSolicitorWills, Trusts and Probate
Having gone through the experience of a failed family business and the associated litigation early on in his life, Surinderpal was inspired to help others navigate the legal system. He feels having ‘learned the hard way’ this has given him greater empathy for issues that may impact clients.
Wills, trusts and probate have always been a staple of Surinderpal’s legal practice and he advises on the full range of arrangements including those with an international element. Areas he specialises in include the preparation of probate applications; the drafting of trusts, Wills, lasting power of attorney and their variation; and lifetime gifting. He also advises on deputyship applications in the Court of Protection and on mental capacity for elderly clients and their relatives.
He has expertise in advising farming and agricultural clients on business succession planning and inheritance and capital gains tax mitigation, in particular agricultural and business property reliefs.
“I’m a big believer in the fact that life is about preparation, preparation, preparation.” Johnny L. Cochran Jnr.
Some examples of Surinderpal’s work
- Assisting a cross border family to wind up an insolvent estate
- Expediting a death bed discretionary trust instruction for a Russian nation with an only adult child in secure rehabilitation
- Mopping up excess farm probate assets into Business Property Relief on exhausting Agricultural Property Relief
- Helping a family avoid the time and cost of a s.75 inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 claim by negotiating an agreement
- In addition to multitude of individual Wills, Probate and Trust arrangements
Surinderpal has BA(Hons), LL.M and is a Solicitor Advocate (all proceedings) meaning he can represent clients in a wider range of courts than most solicitors.
He is a member of the Agricultural Law Association, an Accredited Civil Mediator with the InterNational Academy of Dispute Resolution and a full member of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
It’s not all about work
Outside of the office, Surinderpal enjoys all the variety life can offer from hedge cutting and mowing neighbours’ gardens, to classical and flamenco guitar and to being laughed at by his wife. He loves any activity that involves a board (with the exception of ironing) including skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing. He also remembers his roots and regularly offers pro bono legal advice to those less fortunate.