Your web browser is out of date.

Update your browser for better security, speed and to get the best experience on this website.

Update your browser
Couple reviewing paperwork concerned 587565332
Family young same sex female couple with baby happy 604754282
Family young same sex family with boy happy 716726290

Unmarried Couples: Finances and Children Solicitors specialising in the rights of unmarried couples regarding finance and children

Unmarried couples do not have the same rights as couples who are married or in a civil partnership when they separate.

There is a widely held myth that cohabiting couples form a ‘common law marriage’ that gives them legal protection but in reality, no matter how long you live with someone you do not have the same legal rights and protection in the UK. This can cause difficulties in respect of both finances and arrangements for children.

At Heald Solicitors, our family lawyers have a wide understanding of the rights of unmarried couples, and we can advise you of your options if your relationship ends.

Despite less protection for those who are not married, you do still have some safeguards and we can advise and represent you to ensure that you are protected as far as possible when it comes to your family home, providing for your children and facilitating arrangements that enable you to care for and spend time with your children.

Divorce seperation young girl sad with teddy bear 1583226754
Divorce speration father leaving child holding his leg 1606546393
Both parents have a legal obligation to support their children financially, whether or not they are married or in a civil partnership.

Financial arrangements for unmarried couples on separation

Unmarried couples do not have an obligation to support each other following separation and will generally keep the assets they hold in their sole names, unless the other partner is able to prove that they have a beneficial interest in that asset. There are several ways that one party can demonstrate that they have a beneficial interest in a property. For example, if one party contributed towards the deposit on a property but does not have their name on the legal title, there may be a trust deed that explicitly sets out the extent of that beneficial interest.

If there is no trust deed, it may still be possible to prove that a direct financial contribution was made towards the deposit on the property. Similarly, if it can be shown that the non-owning partner made direct payments towards the mortgage or paid for any renovations on the property, this may be sufficient to establish a beneficial interest in the property. A beneficial interest means that although the party’s name is not on the title deeds, when the property is sold, they will be entitled to receive a certain percentage of the net sale proceeds.

Establishing a beneficial interest by way of trust is a complicated area of law and it is recommended that legal advice is sought as soon as any uncertainty arises between partners over the ownership of a property.

Heald 2019 144
Heald Headshots2021 0126
Where children are involved, you may be able to stay in a property for a certain period of time even if you do not own it.

With jointly owned assets such as property, this is normally divided equally or in accordance with the way it is owned. For example, a home may be owned as tenants in common with one party holding a one-third share and the other holding two-thirds. If the home is owned as joint tenants, then the implication is that it was intended that the property be owned in equal shares, but this is not necessarily always the case.

If one party has contributed a larger share to the purchase of a property and/or has paid more towards the mortgage and/or renovations, it may be possible to claim a larger share of the net equity even if this is not evidenced by a trust deed. It may also be possible to claim a beneficial interest in the property even if you do not own it or if it was purchased on the understanding that you would have a share in it.

Where children are involved, you may be able to stay in a property for a certain period of time even if you do not own it, so that a home can be provided for the children of the family.

Family dad son reading happy 523948348

Child arrangements for unmarried couples on separation

Both parents have a legal obligation to financially support their children, whether they are married or in a civil partnership. This usually means that the parent who does not have the day-to-day care of the children will pay maintenance to the other parent.

Unmarried parents also have legal rights and responsibilities in respect of their children. Where they have parental responsibility, they have a right to be consulted about certain decisions that are taken and a right to make decisions themselves. By way of example, anyone with parental responsibility must give written consent for a child to be taken out of the country.


Contact Us Let's have a chat

Keshini Rajendra

For expert advice regarding finances and children for unmarried couples contact our team of family solicitors

Our family law team are experts in dealing with financial issues and children matters for unmarried couples.

While our office is in Milton Keynes, we are experienced in working with clients throughout England and Wales, often remotely, meaning that you can expect the same expert legal advice and excellent client care wherever you are located.

If you would like to speak to one of our family law solicitors, please get in touch with our legal expert Keshini Rajendra .

01908 662 277
[email protected]
Divorce couples seperation children 173523596

Why choose Heald Solicitors to be your Milton Keynes family law solicitors?

Our family law services are designed to help people in Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas to easily handle their legal issues.

Our highly experienced family solicitors advise on all matters, including divorce, marriage and civil partnerships, cohabitation agreements, pre-nuptial agreements, children’s issues such as parental responsibility and child contact arrangements, and financial provision after a relationship breakdown. We also advise on other related aspects of family law, such as adoption, surrogacy and domestic violence injunctions.

We understand that dealing with family law matters can be daunting and emotionally challenging for our clients, and we work hard to find the best solution for their circumstances.

Heald Solicitors is a law firm dedicated to helping our clients achieve the best possible outcome when it comes to family law issues. Our solicitors will work hard on your behalf, offering comprehensive legal advice at every step to ensure you receive the support you need during this difficult period.

Our family lawyers are in Milton Keynes, but our leading reputation means that we also deal extensively with clients from the surrounding areas and beyond, communicating remotely where necessary.

Let's discuss your situation…

Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss unmarried couples: finances and children and understand your situation and requirements.

Tell us how we can help you or a short breakdown of your current situation and requirements.
Note: Any information you send us via this form will only be used for the purposes of processing your enquiry. It will not be used for marketing purposes or sold to third parties. View our privacy policy.
Unmarried Couples: Finances and Children Bio Image

Our Legal Expert Keshini Rajendra

Get to know us wih a call back, at a time that suits you. Let us offer some guidance and direction to start your journey with Heald Solicitors today.