Your web browser is out of date.

Update your browser for better security, speed and to get the best experience on this website.

Update your browser
Elderly old couple contract wills 428797687
Elderly old care wills 280357913
Eldely women son care happy 1660204120

Court of Protection Specialist court of protection solicitors in Milton Keynes

The Court of Protection looks after individuals who do not have the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, where decisions have to be made for them or actions done for them and they have not taken steps to put a legal representative in place, for example by making a Lasting Power of Attorney.

The Court of Protection can give you the authority as a Deputy to act for a loved one in this situation in dealing with their affairs, or as a Trustee if they were themselves having to manage a trust of some form.

Application to the Court of Protection is made by someone who will become a legal representative for the person who has lost capacity. This is usually a relative or close friend, but if no-one is able to take on the role, the Court can appoint a Panel Deputy.

At Heald Solicitors in Milton Keynes, our Court of Protection experts can explain the process to you and put together the application on your behalf so that you can start helping as soon as possible.

We understand that this will be a difficult time for you and we will do all we can to offer our help and advice throughout. We are happy to discuss the options with you and to answer any questions you may have.

Old women with daughter happy 1562123176
Elderly hands holding 1490797235

How to apply to the Court of Protection for a deputyship order or a trustee order

To take on the role of deputy or trustee for someone who is no longer able to manage their own affairs you have to make a formal court application. This involves a number of court forms, but our services include preparing these for you, based on your knowledge of your case.

We will also help you obtain the necessary certificate for the Court that shows to the Court that the person concerned does not have mental capacity. The Court cannot do anything without this certificate.

You will also be required to notify certain people that you have started the application process. This includes the person for whom you wish to act and their relatives and close friends.

You can ask for a deputyship for the following matters:

  • Property and financial affairs; and/or
  • Health and welfare.

If the Court agrees to your request to become a deputy, it will issue an order outlining your powers and responsibilities.

Which is best, a Court of Protection order or a Lasting Power of Attorney?

If your relative still has the capacity to make decisions, they may want to consider putting a Lasting Power of Attorney in place, which is quicker, less costly and easier than making an application to the Court of Protection once capacity has been lost.

A Lasting Power of Attorney gives an attorney similar rights to deal with property and financial affairs as well as health and wellbeing that a person has for themselves, so it is a much more personal arrangement.

A deputy has more ongoing reporting responsibilities than an attorney and will be required to send an annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) each year explaining the decisions they have made on behalf of the individual and giving financial information, if they are dealing with their financial affairs. There are ongoing, annual fees payable to the Court in most cases, that are avoided if a Lasting Power of Attorney is made in time.

Sara Taylor

For expert advice contact our Court of Protection solicitors

At Heald Solicitors, our Court of Protection lawyers can help you with the application to become a deputy as well as offer you advice and guidance in respect of your duties after appointment, including the annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian.

If you wish to talk to us about making an application to the Court of Protection, please get in touch with our legal expert Sara Taylor .

01908 662277
[email protected]
Elderly old care wills 280357913

Why choose Heald Solicitors to be your Wills, Trusts and Probate lawyers?

At Heald Solicitors in Milton Keynes, our team have extensive experience in dealing with Wills, trusts and probate, including complex or high-value estates, business succession and dispute resolution.

We understand that dealing with Wills and probate can be hard, and you will find us sympathetic and approachable. We provide excellent client care and will make sure we are always available to speak to you to discuss the progress of your matter and answer any questions you may have.

We work proactively to make sure that your case is dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible and we will always keep our costs to a minimum to ensure you receive good value for money.

Let's discuss your situation…

Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss court of protection and understand your situation and requirements.

Tell us how we can help you or a short breakdown of your current situation and requirements.
Note: Any information you send us via this form will only be used for the purposes of processing your enquiry. It will not be used for marketing purposes or sold to third parties. View our privacy policy.
Court of Protection Bio Image

Our Legal Expert Sara Taylor

Get to know us wih a call back, at a time that suits you. Let us offer some guidance and direction to start your journey with Heald Solicitors today.